Monday, February 18, 2008

Thing One

Right up front, I'm going to tell you that titling this post Thing One makes me laugh. Let me explain. First, I created this blog solely because I am participating in the "23 Things on a Stick" program for Minnesota librarians. I am supposed to use it to post my thoughts about each step in the program. While I understand that this is a way for the 23 Things folks to tell whether or not each participant has completed each step, it does seem like it would get really boring for them to read the same things over and over again, even if it is fun for each of us to rave about how interesting and/or informative we are finding the process.

Second, I am unabashedly planning to use this blog in the future as a place to talk about my job as a bookmobile librarian. It just seems strange to create a blog that will be obsolete in a few weeks. Plus, I love a challenge, and creating a blog that would be pertinent for the program as well as beyond was simulataneously challenging and appealing to my practical nature.

So what's fiunny about that you're wondering. Nothing! I often ramble around before coming to the point. Here comes the funny part. Any Dr. Seuss fans out there will recall Thing One and Thing Two from The Cat in the Hat. They were twin helpers who contributed to the general havoc wrought by The Cat upon Sally and her brother's (did he have a name?) home one rainy afternoon. Every time I think about Thing One, my pea brain remembers those Things from that book and I chuckle inwardly while mentally composing a post about Thing One as opposed to Thing one. I can't be the only person out there who secretly wishes they could unabashedly run amok like Thing One and Thing Two do. Do you?

So, before I descend completely into a rhyming, off-topic diatribe, perhaps I should stop wasting my 23 Things (can you imagine if The Cat had brought that many?) reader's time and fulfil my duty by saying that creating this blog has been a really interesting and informative process! Perhaps the statement is uncalled for since it's obvious I am having a good time here. I may not be entertaining anyone else, but I am clearly enjoying myself.

Who knows, I may feel compelled to flesh out the formative rhyming couplets in my brain as I contemplate Thing One. In the future, at least for the time-being, I will indicate when a post is going to be off-topic, i.e., does not pertain directly, (or in some small way at least), to the "23 Things" program. And if you see a new post titled "Thing One Revisited" you may want to steer clear.

4 comments:

Ann said...

Congrats on getting started with 23 Things on a Stick!

SELCO staff, including me, will be working through the program as well. We hope to have fun along the way and will offer the opportunity for regional prizes to all who complete the program by National Library Week. Enjoy!

Ann Hutton at SELCO

aurora said...

As a former Children's librarian, I have thought of Thing 1 and it's humor many times-- but not so hilariously or deeply as you have. I do definitely think you have some of the most interesting posts of any I have read so far.

Jonya said...

Please post whatever you want! I do - my readers have to listen to me talking about sword fighting and armor making and boring snapshots of my days that I write to entertain my mom. My blog is "It's My Life" if you want to come-see.

pam said...

Our system did 23 things last year and I posted pics of the mobile outreach van I work on. Then I created a wiki to promoter outreach in Maryland with even more pics. We gotta promote ourselves!