Thursday, February 21, 2008

Thing 3: Learn About RSS

I'm on Thing Three and I have yet to come across something that my 17 year old son isn't already an expert on! Having him show me his RSS - he uses Sage through Firefox - helped me understand what I was doing in this process. I Ixquicked "Compare Bloglines and Google Reader" and came across this web site http://lifehacker.com/software/google-reader/geek-to-live-from-bloglines-to-google-reader-205786.php. I didn't want to leave it to chance that I would choose the best of the two RSS options and I figured if this woman had helped build a feed reader herself, she should know what she's talking about. She recommended Google, so I went with that.

Imagine my surprise when I tried to add my own library's web site and it did not have a feed! I will suggest that we create one so we can better serve our patrons who are interested in library news.

This was a relatively simple process for me. I can't wait to find and add more bookmobile blogs so I can have that touchstone. I have not yet been able to attend the annual bookmobile conference and I would like to be more connected to those other unique librarians who also do what I do. It would be nice to see how others have solved some of the problems we face as mobile librarians.

FYI - Two things I have discovered about Blogger as I have added more posts: The spellcheck doesn't work for some reason and in order to copy and paste to use spell check elsewhere, you have to highlight the text and hit Ctrl + C.

No comments: